“Reinventing Yourself -
Tips For Success”
Reinventing yourself is possible. Expand your knowledge with ideas to succeed in starting a new career. Discover the best in career change help as you become the new you.
FTC Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links from which I may receive a small commission for purchases made through the links. For example, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I receive referral fees from mentors on this site. There is no additional cost to you. To learn more, please see my affiliate disclosure document.
Midlife career changes do occur. In fact, they are more frequent than ever before. The question is "Is it right for you?" We have seen people in their 40s, 50s, 60s and even 70s move on taking a chance on something new and different.
How do you go about finding out what career is best for you? Here are some tips to assist you in determining how to check your choices.
6 Tips For Reinventing Yourself
1. Study and Research
- To determine which new career will be the best for you, a good place to start would be to look through the classified ads and job boards. You may have always had something in the back of your mind that is a passion of yours, but was never sure how to make a living off of it. Research!
Valuable Tool In Your Search
- Perform internet searches for online discussion boards. Look for topics or professions you would like to investigate. Many discussion board participants are enthusiastic and will provide fantastic insight and ideas for you to consider.
- Look at the universities or community colleges in your area. They may have programs that are relevant to your interests. You don't have to take classes. You may find a wealth of information on their web site about the courses and associated information.
2. Find Your Vision
- Reflect on what you may want to do. You don’t have to go all in right away. You may want to consider what you enjoy, like you hobby. Investigate ways to build on your hobby to make it a business. You may even start your own website to discuss and sell items about your hobby.
- Find a mentor to provide guidance and insight to the
career in which you have an interest. Don' t think of it as asking for
help, but for using the resources that are available in an intelligent
manner. After all, a mentor who has been successful in your career of
interest can be as valuable as gold in your search for your career
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
3. Find Small Successes To Conquer Fear
Small Steps Lead To Success
- Don't try to do everything at once. It is usually better to just do a little at a time to see if you enjoy it and get the satisfaction you want.
- If the area you have an interest in scares you somewhat, do it anyway. Experience the feeling of accomplishment. Then you can take bigger steps as you success more.
- Most of us are terrified of change of any sort. The important thing to remember is, that it is usually better to move than to stay still. Since the rest of the world is changing, even it we don't want it to, we should change with it. After all, you are reinventing yourself.
- Crandell suggests that if you are intending to move forward, then there are no wrong moves. In fact, that is a great motivational tool.
- Succeed and grow, succeed and grow.
4. Get Support From Others
Work With Others
Photo courtesy of © Theo Gottwald | Dreamstime.com
- You may know of someone who already has a career in your area of interest. Use them as a source of information. Contact your acquaintances that are considering their own career changes. Get with them to share ideas, contacts and approaches to learn more about your interests.
- Keep in mind that another that can provide you with support is your mentor. Mentors truly want to help others in their journey. So, take the time to find yours and use them to help you in your process of reinventing yourself.
5. Try It Out
- Consider spending time with someone that works in the field for which you have an interest. It could be an hour, a day, or even a week. You may even be able to go with that person as they perform their job duties. That way you can gain insight from your guide and get a good perspective on what that career involves.
- Sign up for short-term courses to get instruction and guidance from knowledgeable individuals. It could be a welding course, cooking class, novel writing course or anything in which you have an interest.. Many such training sessions are online.
- You would try on a jacket before buying one, so try on your new career.
6. Be Confident
Be Confident! Take The Leap
- The final tip to reinventing yourself deals with that inner drive you have to follow your passion. Always keep in mind why you are doing this. What satisfaction you will feel when you accomplish your goal. After all, you would not have started if you did not have the confidence to complete your objective.
- Trust yourself. It is time for a new life and new successes. Attitude, brain and motivation are the keys to reaching you goal in your career change. Move for the right choice for your family and for yourself.
- Complete these six tips and you will be on a great start to reinventing yourself.
Find a mentor for your new career by clicking the Search button below.
If you are ready to schedule your mentor session, just click the Reserve button below
Do you want to serve as a Mentor with us? Why not join our team of Mentors right here at Career Redo? Find out more by clicking on the button below.
Home > Midlife > Reinventing Yourself