UNDERSTAND YOUR AUDIENCE
Find the right keywords to fill the need of your target group.
The audience is this case is company or association that is looking for a great freelance writer. So…
- Who is the company?
- What are their objectives?
- What material have they presented previously?
- Where is their focus? A Google search may be able to get you the latest trends.
- Who are their reporters and writers?
- How are they presenting the material?
- What is the size of their publications?
- Have you read their social media feeds and understand their culture?
- Do you see any subject areas that are missing?
It may be easier to gain visibility with smaller publications. This is especially true if you are changing careers without a significant portfolio. Do your research.
Better yet, who is the hiring manager? Can you identify the person that will be reading your resume? This may not be possible to obtain at first, but dig into LinkedIn, company websites and other sources to see if you can identify her/him. Read through her LinkedIn profile searching for keywords that she used. Consider how you can use similar keywords in your freelance writer resume.
Pick up the tone of their culture and include it in your cover letter and resume.